by Christopher Pike
YA Mystery/Thriller, 1986 by Scholastic Press, 240 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Over the top dramatization of teens behaving badly. Funny how this used to be the norm and yet now it feels so fake.
- Obsession with sex. Again, it feels over the top. Strangely, I’ve noticed this a lot on Pike rereads yet I never remember noticing it when I read Pike the first time around.
- One of the big reveals felt like it got bowled over by the others and never really dealt with, that bothered me a bit.
What I Did Like:
- Solid mystery. I wondered who did it. I wondered how it connected and how deep it went.
- Fast moving. It doesn’t drag or lag, just moves.
- The ending works. Without spoiling anything I’ll just say it came together well and worked.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fans of the slasher style movies may like this one, but it has a twist. The vibes remind me of Urban Legends.
- YA fans who want something a little creepy and dark that feels a bit older than most YA today.