by Karin Slaughter
A Mystery/Thriller, 2001 by HarperTorch, 418 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Plumbers don’t have emergencies? <laughs in plumber’s daughter>
- Some old school “boys will be boys” behavior that irritates (although it is called out by a character who also hates it).
- Dark and disturbing. I read a lot of mystery/thrillers and this one tap danced with the line of being too dark, even for me.
What I Did Like:
- Lena is a great character. I found myself intrigued by her realistic flaws and hoping she’d grow and mature as the book went on.
- Satisfying mystery. I didn’t have it all figured out right away and there were some surprises in the journey.
- The fictional world is realistic and set up well. This little town and these characters are repeated in this series. This book did a good job of setting that all up for future books.
Who Should Read This One:
- Mystery thriller fans who can handle dark and disturbing crimes.