by Riley Sager
A Mystery/Thriller, 2023 by Dutton, 385 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- The pacing is inconsistent. Some things feel like they move pretty quickly while others drag.
- A few too many twists and coincidences make this feel a little far-fetched.
- It’s unlikely everything will surprise you. Especially for an experienced mystery reader, these twists aren’t all going to be things you didn’t yell “I knew it” about.
What I Did Like:
- The mystery is captivating. I found myself eager to keep reading and figure it all out. There also are things that will surprise readers. There’s really enough kept secret for long enough that at least a small tidbit should be a total surprise.
- The cast of characters is intentionally odd. They’re perfect for this type of story where you ultimately suspect everyone in turn for something nefarious.
- Great ending. The author does a good job of wrapping things up satisfactorily.
Who Should Read This One:
- Readers who like surprises and shocking twists.
- If you like settings to act as metaphors this one also delivers.