by B.A. Paris
A Mystery/Thriller, 2021 by St Martin’s Press, 283 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Some (most) of the reveals were a little obvious and easy to figure out.
- I didn’t relate to (or really like) any of the characters. That can be problematic in a story because there’s no one to latch onto. The main character was actually a bit annoying and naive, which really bothered me.
- The big reveal felt a bit anticlimactic and it cut off quite suddenly. I would’ve preferred to stick with it all the way through and “see it” for myself.
What I Did Like:
- I can’t say I had it ALL figured out and I like surprises.
- The reveal/solution works. It didn’t feel like a complete stretch, which can happen sometimes when the author is actively trying to surprise you. It felt plausible and was explained well.
- I wanted a bit more from the ending. Not for the solution (again, that was well explained) but for the main character. It felt a little too unresolved for some of the things we’d learned.
Who Should Read This One:
- If you’re recently into psychological thrillers, this is a good one. I’d be careful if you’ve read a ton of things in this genre, however, because you’ll probably figure it all out pretty early.