by Alexander Ellis
A Historical Fiction, Independently Published in 2023, 352 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Grammatical errors are present. Usually in the form of a missing or incorrect word form. There’s also occasions of repeated words that bog down the text without adding anything. Dialogue is also incorrectly formatted a few times and is frequently awkward.
- The text tends toward long sentences which gives the prose a sort of rambling feeling. It can be hard to catch a rhythm in this story because of those long sentences.
- There are scenes that could be cut down. They add nothing to the story and cause a drag that isn’t needed in an otherwise action-packed story.
What I Did Like:
- Pirates. What’s not to like about pirates? There’s danger and excitement mixed with battles that keep the story moving.
- Casper is a solid character. The emotional connections and tendency Casper has to care for his fellow characters is heartwarming. It makes you want good things for this character.
- Action scenes are easy to picture.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fans of pirate stories who, perhaps, want something a little more realistic than a lot of what is available out there and who are not overly bothered by grammatical errors.
My Rating: 2 Stars
- Poor editing is problematic for me and it can often ruin a good story.