by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro
MG Fantasy, 2023 by Disney Hyperion, 480 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- This timeline isn’t always linear and that’s a little confusing. You catch on pretty quickly, but be warned!
- Repetitive. Of course, there’s a reason for any/all of the repetition but it can still be mildly irritating.
- Some parts of this one drag a little. The heroes spend more time sleeping than I ever remember other heroes in this series doing, for example, and it gets a little slow.
What I Did Like:
- NICO!!! He’s my absolute favorite and I adored dropping into this book in his POV. He’s (GASP) happy and I love that for him.
- The ending is excellent. From the climax to the final dream scene to the resolution, it’s exactly what I wanted the ending to be.
- The quest introduced a good blend of monsters, Gods, and minor characters we recognized. I always love the way these books all fit together.
Who Should Read This One:
- Obviously, Nico fans. This is a great story that follows the darkest of the demigods on a quest of his own.
- Fans of the Percy Jackson series will like how this slots into the others and brings back a few of your favorite minor characters.