by Jeff Beamish
YA Contemporary, 2023 by Roundfire Books, 385 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Content Warning: Statutory rape, sexual content in general, drug use.
- There are moments where this feels confusing. I believe it’s intentional, as a way to highlight that one of our POV characters is suffering, but it’s still off-putting to try and get through at times.
- I really, really dislike Mike. That’s difficult since he’s a POV character. He makes a lot of choices that are inconsistent with what you think you know of his character. I found it hard to connect to him.
What I Did Like:
- Solid opening chapter. Instantly you want the backstory and you have questions you want answered. It definitely captures your interest and keeps you reading.
- Ashlee is a good character. She is creative and logical in her way. Immediately you want good things for her.
- The ending works. There are satisfying conclusions made and things come together well.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fans of contemporary stories that explore darker themes.